Elevator Safety Tips and Rules
When waiting for an elevator:
– Know your destination. Push elevator call button for the direction you want to go.
– Stand aside for exiting passengers.
– Wait for the next car, if the elevator is full.
– Take the stairs if there is a fire.
– Do not try to stop a closing door. Wait for the next elevator.
When you enter and leave an elevator:
– Enter and exit carefully. Step up or down if the elevator floor and hall floor are not level.
– Hold children and pets firmly.
– Stand clear of the doors – keep clothes and carry-ons away from the opening.
– Push and hold the DOOR OPEN button if the doors need to be held open, or ask someone to push the button for you.
When riding on an elevator:
– Stand next to the elevator wall.
– Hold the handrail if available.
– Pay attention to the floor indications.
– If the doors do not open when the elevator stops, push the DOOR OPEN button.
What to do in the event of a delay
– Push or pull the Alarm button to call for assistance.
– Phone for help, if a phone is available. An intercom or hands free phone may be available. Follow instructions for their use.
– Pry not! Do not force open the elevator doors. Do not attempt to leave the elevator.
– Patience, please. You are safe and there is plenty of air. So relax and wait for help.
Escalator Safety Tips and Rules
Before entering escalators:
– No hand trucks or hand carts.
– No freight.
– No wheelchairs, strollers or baby buggies.
– No walkers or wheeled vehicles.
– No loose clothing – clogs, flip flops, soft-soled shoes or scarves.
– Be careful when carrying hanging clothes.
– No running or walking – stand still.
– Don’t ride barefoot or with loose shoelaces.
– Parents supervise the conduct and activity of your children.
– Use emergency button in emergency situations only.
When entering escalators:
– Watch the direction of the moving step.
– Step on and off with extra care. Take care if you are wearing bifocals.
– Hold children or small packages firmly in one hand.
– Grasp the handrail as you step promptly onto the moving step.
– Keep loose clothing clear of steps and sides.
When riding escalators:
– Stand toward the middle of the step – away from the sides and face forward. Don’t lean against the sides.
– Don’t allow children to sit on steps.
– Do not sit umbrellas on steps.
– Keep a firm grip on the handrail. Reposition your hand slowly if the handrail moves ahead or behind the steps. Escalators may stop for safety precautions.
– Don’t rest your handbag or parcels or any other objects on the handrail or steps or anywhere.
– Keep objects in hands at all times.
– Pay attention. Don’t window-shop while riding.
When exiting escalators:
– Don’t hesitate.
– Step off promptly.
– Immediately move clear of the escalator exit area; don’t stop to talk or look around. Other passengers may be behind you.